Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New Directions


Why are we so full of restraint? Why do we not give in all directions? Is it fear of losing ourselves? Until we do lose ourselves there is no hope of finding ourselves.-Henry Miller (American author and artist, 1891-1980)

When I started this blog, I wasn't exactly clear on my intent. I knew what type of blogs I enjoy visiting. I knew what type I clicked off of in a hurry. But since my plans for opening my Etsy store were on the horizon, I felt that the blog should lean towards a green/crafty/motherhoood-type blog. All of the "professional-crafter" sites talk about all the things you should do and I have attempted to follow that path in a way that shared what I enjoyed and felt passionately about. I shared crafts I liked, green tips that I have found helpful and tooted the horn of the handmade marketplace on Etsy. I have steared clear of too much talk or venting about my current roles in life. I have steared clear of being too personal. I have steared clear of any talk of religion or politics. I felt like I was following the template well! But I haven't been able to shake the feeling that something was missing...

I have taken some time to look back at the blogs that led me into the world of blogging and did what I do best...over think! I over-thought about the templates and rules of the crafty blogging world. I over-thought about safety risks about certain blogging practices. I over-throught about making people happy and over-thought about ticking people off. I over-thought about all things I would love to say but am too scared of saying... I over-thought about cheesy quotes that told me not to be scared. I wrote lists in my head and lost sleep...over a blog...

Now, don't get me wrong. The blogging world is a mighty powerful place. The social media world has revolutionized roles of women. The social media revolution has given people the ability to have a voice and financially support themself through their endeavors. I get that. It is serious business and very important to some that may even be reading this. But, I realized this- a) I am not there yet and b) if/when I do, I want to do it my way. Not based on a safe template. And, most certainly, not without my voice.


So, I will still share about the things I am passionate about. I will still share my favorite handmade artists. I will still share what I am learning about living more sustainably and taking care of the world that we live in. I will still share about fun, frugal things you can make. I am passionate about these things. But I am also a woman that struggles with issues in my day-to-day life. I am an over-thinker with a degree in sociology that wants to share my rediculously deep thoughts on mundane subjects. I am a mother that struggles with finding a balance between the roles that I have in my life. Maybe I may challenge someone (hopefully!). Maybe I will tick you off. I don't know but I am looking forward to moving in this new direction!

3 comments:

LauraC said...

I don't think there are "rules" for blogging. I think people identify with the person! And I like reading more about people behind the blogs, bc if you just want products, go to etsy or the store!

Janna said...

I look forward to reading the new posts! I think this is a great idea!

Laura Evans said...

to me blogging in about giving the viewer, client & everyone else another insight to who i am. It doesn't have to be deeply personal to be all about you. I have never read or followed any rules i just write what i feel like writing on the day in question in my own way. You're blog is wonderful.

Post a Comment